Are you looking for a delicious French classic that’s sure to impress? Then you’re in luck – French beef bourguignon is the perfect dish for any special occasion. This hearty beef stew is packed with flavor and simmered in a rich red wine sauce, making it an indulgent dish you won’t soon forget! If you’re looking to learn how to make this delicious French classic, then you’ve come to the right place. This guide will walk you through the simple steps needed to create this mouthwatering dish. So get ready to experience the flavor of France in your very own kitchen – it’s time to learn the perfect recipe for French beef bourguignon!
French Beef Bourguignon is a classic and comforting French main dish that is truly delicious. To make the perfect version, you will require the following ingredients:
- – two ½ pounds of beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- – one pound of bacon, diced
- – four tablespoons of unsalted butter
- – two large onions, diced
- – two carrots, diced
- – two cloves of garlic, finely minced
- – two tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- – two tablespoons of tomato paste
- – two cups of red wine
- – two cups of beef broth
- – two bay leaves
- – two sprigs of fresh thyme
- – two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- – two tablespoons of brandy
- – two tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- – Salt and pepper, to taste
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, you’re ready to begin your Beef Bourguignon masterpiece!
Instructions for French Beef Bourguignon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Chop 2 pounds of chuck beef into cubes. Season cubes with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven on medium heat.
4. Add the beef cubes and cook until they are browned on all sides.
5. Slice 3 medium carrots and 3 medium onions.
6. Add the carrots and onions to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
7. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
8. Add 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour to the pot and stir to create a roux.
9. Add 2 cups of dry red wine and two cups of beef broth.
10. Add 4 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper, and 4 fresh thyme sprigs. Stir to combine.
11. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
12. Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until the beef cubes are fork tender.
13. Once the beef is cooked, remove the pot from the oven.
14. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley to the pot.
15. Serve the beef bourguignon with mashed potatoes or a hearty side of your choice. Enjoy!
Before beginning, it is important to have all of the necessary ingredients on hand: 2 lbs of chuck beef, 1 bottle of Burgundy wine, 2 onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 6 ounces of bacon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Begin by cutting the chuck beef into 1/4 inch cubes, then season it with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the beef cubes. Brown the beef in the pot for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the beef is browned, add the onions and garlic and cook for another minute. Then add the tomato paste and stir until it is evenly distributed.
: Brown the Beef
The next step in creating the perfect French Beef Bourguignon is to brown the beef. For this, you’ll need to use a large Dutch oven or other type of heavy pot. Heat it over high heat and pat the beef cubes dry with a paper towel. Then, add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pot. Once hot, add the beef cubes in a single layer and let them cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes until browned. Stir the cubes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until all sides are nicely browned. Once done, remove the beef cubes from the pot and set aside.
Once the vegetables have been cooked, add the beef stock to the pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened. Make sure to stir occasionally, and add additional stock or water if necessary. Taste the sauce to determine if it needs more seasoning, and include salt, pepper and thyme to taste.
Once the beef is cooked, you can begin to assemble your French beef bourguignon. Place the beef and vegetables in a large pot over low heat. Next, add the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cook for 1-2 hours until the sauce has thickened. Finally, add in the bacon lardons and fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley etc). Simmer for 10-15 minutes more until the sauce is rich and flavorful. Serve over hot cooked potatoes or egg noodles. Bon appetit!
Simmer the beef bourguignon over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Make sure to stir occasionally, making sure the stew is not sticking to the bottom of the pot. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in the mushrooms and the cooked bacon. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the beef bourguignon hot with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or crusty bread. Enjoy!
The traditional accompaniment to French Beef Bourguignon is mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes. While these work well, there are a variety of other side dishes that can be served alongside this dish to add a bit of flavor, color or texture. Here are a few suggestions:
– Baby Carrots: Baby carrots go well with the beef and onions in French Beef Bourguignon. They can be boiled, blanched, or roasted for a delicious and flavorful side.
– French Bread: This hearty bread can be topped with melted butter and served with the French Beef Bourguignon for a truly French-style meal.
– French Green Salad: A simple French green salad with olive oil and vinaigrette dressing is a perfect complement to the beef and other traditional ingredients.
– Garlic Bread: Sliced bread lightly toasted and rubbed with garlic can be served to accompany the stew.
– Green Beans: Green beans can be boiled, steamed, or stir-fried and served with the French Beef Bourguignon.
– Noodles: Egg noodles, flat noodles, or other types of noodles can be served alongside the stew.
– Rice: Rice is a great accompaniment to many dishes, including French Beef Bourguignon.
– Sauteed Vegetables: Sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers can be served on the side or mixed into the stew.
– Steamed Vegetables: Steamed asparagus, broccoli, or cauliflower can be served as a healthy side dish.
– Stewed Apples: Stewed apples, cinnamon, and sugar make for a delicious topping for mashed potatoes or other sides.
No matter what sides are served, French Beef Bourguignon is sure to be a hit.Enjoy!
In conclusion, the perfect recipe for French Beef Bourguignon is simple and accessible to any home cook. With a few fresh ingredients, it is easy to produce a rich and delicious dish. The instructions are straightforward and you can customize the recipe to suit your tastes. The combination of red wine, beef broth, garlic, mushrooms and onions in this beef bourguignon creates a tantalizing and comforting dinner. Serve this French dish with mashed potatoes, steamed green beans or other sides of your choice and you will have an unforgettable dinner that will bring your family together. Bon Appetit!
Leave a Comment